How To Make Fitness A Habit
I am an entrepreneur since 2010. With that, my lifestyle and routine involve too many luncheons, dinners, event parties and travel. Due to which I end up eating out a lot and of course, the number crunching lifestyle adds up to the pressures of everyday life.
In the past 8 years of entrepreneurship, there were two occasions wherein I faltered and let go of my routine with respect to fitness and paid a heavy price with my health.
That’s when I ensured that I would take care of my health and fitness levels no matter how rigid my schedule is.
And that’s when I realised that fitness is not just about physical fitness, but mental conditioning too.
But, it taught me lessons that allowed me to have a fitness routine with which I completed two sets of yearly goals of running 1000 kms in 1 year and 2000 kms the other year as part of my compulsory routine across marathons, events, daily runs and endurance walks etc.
Here is how I made fitness a habit;
- Where I live: “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live ~ Jim Rohn”
The above quote is so very true. Our bodies are the only place we truly have to live in. How we take care of ourselves speaks volumes of the dreams and aspirations we have set for ourselves. Don’t make fitness another resolution, rather integrate it into your routine. Make it just like a part of getting up and going to work, it needs to be integrated into your system. Few quick pointers to get started:
- Wake up early: No excuses. Do it for a period of 21 consecutive days and trust me, it would become your routine. I wake up at 4 am every single day, irrespective of which city or country I am living in due to my work travel.
- Run or Walk: Get up, go for a run or a walk. Make that your routine too. It helps you clear your mind. It helps you unwind.
- Say no: Say no to drugs, alcohol, smoking etc. You are what you eat.
- Surround yourself: Be a part of groups at work, home and with friends who challenge you positively. Remember, you become the people you surround yourself with.
2. Practice mindfulness: “Mindfulness helps you go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes ~ Nhat Hanh”
Practicing mindfulness, meditation and focus everyday will not only give you amazing discipline and career success, but also make your life a lot more easy in every sense of the term. It will help you take decisions when you are calm and composed.
3. Happiness: “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life ~ Omar Khayyam”
The greatest secret to staying fit is starting your routine with the focus of being happy. Happiness has tremendous power to translate your mental state into your physical being.
4. Diet and lifestyle habits: “Looking beautiful isn’t just about what you apply on your face. It’s the little things you do that matter. A combination of a good diet, exercise, healthy habits, discipline, dancing etc. is what my beauty routine consists of. Also, I have no bad habits; I don’t drink or smoke. All these contribute to me being fit and looking good. Madhuri Dixit”
What you eat, drink, the types of exercise you choose, the discipline you maintain etc goes a long way to empower your body to stay fit. Focus on all of it because a fit body is a beautiful body as its not about how you look, but how you FEEL. And that transcends beyond just feeling good yourself, it allows you to have great confidence in everything you do in life.
I don’t drink or smoke and I am a vegetarian. So choosing a diet and nutrition that will further boost my fitness goals was easier for me, I guess.
5. Exercise: Not everyone has the same type of fitness levels or body style or energy levels. A lot of it depends on the work you do, the diet you follow, the people you surround yourself with, your ability to take stress, follow through your routine etc. So do not choose any exercise because someone says its good. Understand what suits you, try it with the help of a professional trainer if you must. See if it comforts you, makes you feel good about yourself and most importantly, does it make you want to practice that sport or exercise more often because you enjoy doing it. For me, running does exactly that. I go for endurance walks or runs because I love doing it, not because I have to and also because till date, it has worked well for me.
Remember, fitness is not just about your body, it has a lot to do with how you feel. If you feel good, you will have a fit body that will allow you to pursue your goals, both professional and personal.
At the end of the day, remember, you need to follow a routine that is safe, fit and healthy for your body and lifestyle.
Have a lovely day and an amazing lifestyle ahead.
Stay fit, feel good and enjoy your life.
“Note:This article is written as a part of Gympik Fit-A-Thon contest and should not be repurposed, republished or used otherwise. The content herein is owned by the blogger. Gympik is not responsible for any kind of infringement caused.”